FUTURE PLANS AND PROGRAMMES OF KAPPEC
Plans to enhance the trading both in domestic as well as overseas markets for the benefit of farmers to help them to realise a fair return for their produce of kappec.
Plans to create post-harvest infrastructure facilities like pack house, pre-cooling unit, cold storage, processing unit, quality control labs & refrigerated transport etc., in potential areas in a phased manner. Already one such project with a financial implication of about Rs.300 lakhs has been implemented at Bijapur.
Plans to enter into joint venture participation with private sector for the development and increase of agriculture and horticulture exports from the state.
To make available quality Bangalore rose onion seeds at reasonable prices to farmers in order to raise production, productivity and quality of this variety of onion. KAPPEC has already procured certified quality Bangalore rose onion seeds from the national horticultural research development foundation, Nashik and has distributed to farmers.
To conduct seminars, symposiums, training programmes for the benefit of farmers in order to create awareness among them about the package of practices to be followed in the area of pre and post harvest management.
To participate in the international & domestic fairs and exhibitions to increase the demand for agriculture and horticulture commodities grown in Karnataka Government vide order
NO.AHD:88:HPP:2006 Dated 23rd January 2007 has released Rs.10 crores to KAPPEC for creating post harvest infrastructure facilities like pack house, pre-cooling unit, cold storage, processing unit, quality control labs & refrigerated transport etc., in potential areas in a phased manner.
ACTION PLAN FOR CREATING INFRASTRUCTURE FACILITY
Government of Karnataka in the budget 2006-07 has sanctioned an amount of Rs.10 Crores to the company for creating necessary post harvest infrastructure facilities in different parts of the state based on potential in a phased manner. The company has already received and initiated action in this connection. The details are as under:-
- Creation of an integrated cold chain complex consisting of receiving centre, washing, waxing, grading line, pack house, pre cooling units, cold storages and also a laboratory for the export of grapes, pomegranates and other horticulture produce from Kushtagi and surrounding areas in Koppal district. Land has already been purchased from KIADB. The project proposal with a financial implication of Rs. 833.05 Lakhs has already been prepared and sent to APEDA and NHM for funding under their respective financial assistance schemes.
- An IQF unit mooted by M/S. Tropicool Foods Pvt Ltd in Hubli with the equity participation under Public Private Partnership (PPP) model from a leading horticulture produce exporter.based in Hubli for the value addition to the horticulture produce grown by farmers of the area. The project report with a total financial implication of Rs.1058 Lakhs has already been prepared and sent to ASIDE and NHM for funding under their various schemes. The proposal of KAPPEC for taking part in the equity to an extent of 26% (Rs.78/- lakhs) has been sent to Government for approval.
ACTION PLAN FOR MARKETING
As explained above, the company is engaged mainly in the back to back trading of commodities by insulating the risk of market fluctuations and incurring losses in trading due to volatile market conditions exist in commodity trading. During the year 2006-2007 the company has achieved a turnover of Rs.1324 Lakhs by trading in 9772 Mts. of Commodities like Onions, potatoes, turmeric powder, variety of fruits and vegetables etc to countries like Mauritius, Maldives. Based on this experience and also to add more and more commodities to the existing list we propose to undertake the trading as under:-
|Commodity||Qty in Mts.|
|Fruits & Vegetables||10|
The turnover for the current year (2007-2008) i.e from 1.4.2007 to 23.8.2007 is Rs. 616.82 Lakhs. In addition to the above, the company will also explore possibilities of trading in other agriculture and horticulture commodities to increase the turnover and profits.
ACTION PLAN FOR PROMOTIONAL ACTIVITIES
The company proposes to undertake the following promotional activities for the development of trading (both domestic as well as exports) of agriculture and horticulture commodities :-
- Procurement and supply of good quality bangalore rose onion seeds to farmers engaged in the cultivation of bangalore rose onion in the districts of Kolar, Bangalore Rural and Bangalore Urban.
- Association with University of Agriculture Sciences, Bangalore, Indian Gherkin Exporters’ Association and APEDA in the Research & Development Project on Standardization of Production Technology for Export Quality Gherkins.
- Implementation and coordination in respect of the agri export zones for Bangalore Rose Onion and Gherkins in the State.
- Conducting commodity and crop specific Seminars, Workshops in growing areas by involving scientists from UAS, IIHR and other Departmental officials for the benefit of farmers.
- Providing guidance and information to budding entrepreneurs to undertake exports of agriculture and horticulture commodities from the State.
- Cultivation of White and Yellow Onion in Belgaum district in association with a leading onion exporter and the College of Horticulture, Arabhavi in Gokak Taluk.
- Equity Participation in the Karnataka Grape Wine Board, a newly established society by the Govt. of Karnataka for the promotion of wine industry in the State.
- Visit to various institutions belonging to Agriculture Marketing Board, IIHR, Department of Horticulture, University of Agriculture Sciences, Bangalore and Dharwad for delivering talks on the role and strategy of KAPPEC, Potential exists for the development of export of agriculture and horticulture commodities.
Government of Karnataka in the budget for the year 2006-2007 has sanctioned and released an amount of Rs.10 crores (Rupees Ten Crores Only) to KAPPEC for creating post-harvest infrastructure facilities in a phased manner in different parts of the State based on the potential. Accordingly, the company has envisaged the following infrastructure facility in the State in a phased manner:-
|Sl.No||Name of the Project|
|1||Creation of post harvest infrastructure facility consisting of two pack houses, two precooling units, five cold storages, one washing, waxing and grading unit, two refrigerated vans, one battery operated forklift, two hydraulic hand pallet trucks, a laboratory, office complex, packing and grading tables 40 numbers- For the export of Pomegranates and other horticulture produce from Kushtagi and surrounding areas in Koppal District – Action has already been initiated on this project.|
|2||Creation of post harvest technologies at Chitradurga consisting of a receiving hall, pack house, pre cooling, Cold storage, washing and waxing unit and related equipments for the export of pomegranates, Figs, Papaya and other horticulture produce from Chitradurga and surrounding areas.|
|3||Establishing a State of the art TUR processing unit at Gulbarga for the benefits of TUR farmers of Gulbarga, Bidar Districts and surrounding areas.|
|4||Establishing an IQF unit at Hubli in North Karnataka for the export of Quick frozen foods under PPP model.|
|5||Establishing six numbers Vanilla Processing units in difference vanilla growing areas of the State along with all required equipments and buildings for processing and drying of vanilla for export markets.|
|6||Establishing Pineapple and other horticulture produce processing and canning unit in Sirsi, Karnataka.|
|7||Creation of Post Harvest Infrastructure at Srinivaspur / Kolar consisting of a receiving hall, desapping hall, washing, Packing and related equipments for the export of Mangoes from Srinivaspur, Kolar and surrounding areas.|
|8||Establishing a grape processing unit at Bijapur for production of international quality wine and other related products for exports.|
|9||Creation of post harvest infrastructure (cold chain) facility at Bidar for the export of fruits & vegetables|